Grades & Academics
Athletes are expected to have a minimal GPA of 2.0 to be on the team and a GPA of Lettering 3.0 to compete. They may not have a Failing or No Grade in any class during the Season. Each Athlete is expected to succeed in the classroom. It is expected that anyone who falls below this standard continue to practice and attend swim meets, but they will not be allowed to compete. Anyone who falls below a 2.0 GPA is removed from the team. Swimmers work hard in the Pool and Weight room; additional activities should be limited in order to not affect academic performance.
Dues Dates to be Aware of
All Scholar-athletes must complete the following:
- Register with the online – Registermyathlete.com: Required before Tryout
- Here is a Parent’s Guide to Register My Athlete Site if needed.
- Submit a copy of the last quarter’s report card: By Nov 1
- Submit a UHSAA Medical Physical before Nov. 1
- Pay the Athletic Participation fee of $75 by 1. (All Athletic Fees are non-refundable)
- Order your Uniforms and Supplies online by Oct 30
- Optional USA Swimming Membership due by Nov 1
- If you are planning on Swimming or Playing Water Polo in College you need to register for the NCAA Clearing House
Swimmers are expected to be at all practices. There are no optional practices. The following schedule will be utilized this year.
Morning Practice: 5:00 – 6:30 a.m.
Girls Weight Room – Mon / Wed 2:30 – 4:00 p.m.
Boys Weight Room – Tue / Thur 2:30 – 4:00 p.m.
Additional Swim Practice available – You will have to pay for your pool time:
Girls Swim Practices – Tue/Thur 4:30 – 6:00 p.m.
Boys Swim Practices – Mon/Wed 4:30 – 6:00 p.m
If needed, a swimmer may be excused from practice if the coach is notified before the absence. However, during these practice dates – Dec 5-21 & Jan 2-11 (additional dates in January for those who will swim at Region and State.) – Athletes who miss practice will sit out a swim meet.
All Herriman High Swimmers will have the option to be registered with USA Swimming. The UHSAA and USA Swimming will sanction a few swim meets. Herriman will also participate in several USA Swim meets for more opportunities to gain swim times. We will be attending the Senior Swim Championships in March for those who qualify.
There may be some athletes who participate with other USA Teams, please note that no athlete may miss a practice or meet to compete or practice with a Club Team (except for national ODP Meets).
Policies & Conduct
Violation of the following WILL result in being TERMINATED from the team:
- Disregarding any team policy.
- Not maintaining GPA standards (2.0 to be eligible to play according to the school district policy – Team policy will require a 2.5 GPA to maintain starting position).
- An illegal act or being in a place where an illegal act is occurring.
- Possession or use of illegal drugs (improper prescription drugs), alcoholic beverages, and tobacco of any form, or being in a place where this is occurring.
- Distributing substances (including over-the-counter medications) to other students. (Students should only possess the recommended 8-hour dosage of medication substances per school day).
- Being disrespectful towards Coaches, Team Members, Peers, Administration, or Teachers. Disruptive behavior or influence; including immoral conduct (i.e. excessive public display of affection, pregnancy, disruptive influence, hazing, being disrespectful to coaches and/or other team members/peers/teachers/or administration, use of crude or vulgar language, conduct deemed inappropriate by the advisor, team and/or principal, etc.)
- Cyber bullying, posting inappropriate items or comments on Facebook or Twitter, etc. (i.e. nudity, cruel or demeaning comments about others, swearing, inappropriate photographs).
- Suspension from school.
- Cheating or plagiarizing on assignments, tests, or projects at Herriman High School.
- Bullying in any form (Social, Physical, Verbal).
- Not adhering to the school dress code after being cited for a violation 2 times.
Policies & Conduct
As a Scholar-athlete I agree to the following terms and conditions of the Herriman High Aquatics team and recognize that I must adhere to these as a member of the team.